Sunday, August 9, 2009

"Why is Horror a Good Genre for Reading on the Beach?" and Other Questions Answered on WHAD?

If you heard me talking to Ben Merens Thursday (8/6) on Wisconsin Public Radio (WHAD in Milwaukee), you know how embarrassed I am about not remembering the title of David Sedaris' most recent book. It was When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

Other things I couldn't remember:

John Irving's new novel is Last Night in Twisted River and it is due to be published October 27th.

Sherman Alexie's new novel is War Dances; it doesn't have an on-sale date, but he is coming to Boswell Book Company on October 21st, at 7 PM.

Listen to the conversation here. Since you can only winnow the episodes by search, I cleverly put in "best beach reading" to limit the results to my appearance. Alas, if I put in Daniel Goldin, they also list a previous show on which I actually never guested, due to technical problems. Since then, I take the 30 bus to their studios and do the interview in person. I also prefer talking face to face.

***

Congratulations to Barnes and Noble, who in the face of Amazon, had the courage to move their Boulder, Colorado bookstore across the street, probably to take advantage of development incentives. If you want to write an article about the changing book market, I think it's best to peg the store to a store that's opening or closing. But a replacement store? I just don't get it.

No comments: