Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Short Post--Yes, We're Closing Early Today.

With spring in sight, I fell prey to the weather gods, and have decided to close the store early tonight, at 5:30 pm. It was a combination of factors:
--No event tonight
--A bookseller hugged me when I made the suggestion
--Two modest storms in February that cleared out the store for the entire evening, except for a few locals who spent hours hanging out and didn't buy anything anyway
--A lack of sleep on my part, combined with being scheduled to close tonight, had me panickng about my ability to get home. I would have normally taken the bus, but we had our accountant early in the morning, and a lunch with a friend at our management office, and I couldn't figure out how I could get there and back in time. And then my friend cancelled because of...the snow.

I decorated the post with the snowiest frontlist title I could think of, which is The Snow Child.

I'm grateful that I was able to do this, and now I might help everyone by making the storm pass us by. It's the old "carry an umbrella to avoid the rain" theory, for those superstitious folk out there.

And if it had to happen, better tonight than next Friday, when Sarah Vowell's at Boswell and we're also selling books at the UWM Spring Writers Festival.

Seems ok for tomorrow and our event with John Donatich and his novel, The Variations. But we'll keep you posted.

No comments: