Saturday, October 31, 2009

Downer Theatre = Movies = I Go to my First Since We've Opened

After hearing so much about the Coen Brothers movie "A Serious Man", I decided it was time to live my dream and see a movie without crossing the street, my first since we've opened. It's said to be their most autobiographal movie. You read movie reviews, so you already know that it's about a Jewish family in the suburbs of 1960's Minneapolis.

>I can't say I liked it or I didn't; my review would be "I have questions." Feel free to discuss it with me on your next visit. For those who loved it, the screenplay is available.

Speaking of movies, I have a love-hate relationship with the fabulous McSweeney's covers. I loved the three-part jacket for Michael Chabon's Maps and Legends. I also enjoyed the book itself, but I couldn't get as many folks to invest in a special book-as-object piece as I hoped. Our sale wasn't exactly shabby; the Downer Avenue Schwartz, we sold 27 copies.

Now we've got Dave Egger's novel The Wild Things, an adaptation of Maurice Sendak's picture book that (oy, let's hope I get this correct) closely follows the new movie, or maybe it was the basis for the movie, I'm just a blogger so I'm not bothering to do my research.

You want the facts correct? Read and support your local newspaper.

Anyway, we have both editions of the book, classic ($19.95) or fur-covered ($28.00). We've heard that not every account got the latter. It's pretty spiffy so if you can't find one, you can always check with us. See phone number at the top of this post.

Note that unlike most of our jackets, this is from a cropped photograph. Couldn't find a jacket of hairy edition that included the title and author sticker.
Haven't seen the movie. Read the amazing reviews. I guess the box office numbers were disappointing, but maybe that was for the latest "Saw" movie.

No comments: