Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday Short Post--Jennifer Chiaverini in Racine/Miss Cupcake Visits


Hannah and I visited the Racine Public Library yesterday for Jennifer Chiaverini's event for Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker (signed copies available). We learned from Hazel of the Friends of the Racine Public Library that Mary Todd Lincoln actually had an extended stay in Racine, and there's a statue of her in town.

Congrats to Chiaverini, for her highest ranking to date on The New York Times bestseller list. We've been selling the book (outside the event) better than the books in the Elm Creek Quilts series. Who doesn't love a good presidential-themed novel?

We got a little lost trying to find the library parking lot, which gave us the chance to detour a few blocks and see how the old Schwartz space was doing. I think I got the building correct. Havahart Pets was there. On the way back I bought a turtle kringle for the Friday morning booksellers from O&H bakery.

Speaking of sweets, Miss Cupcake visited us with some treats this afternoon. Included were vanilla/vanilla, chocolate/vanilla, cherry chip, chocolate orange, and orange cream. I first heard about this shop at an Iron Cupcake competition.

Since it's opened, I've dropped by several times, as have several other Boswellians. Jannis and Jason follow the shop on Facebook, and both have raved about their scones.  I asked Ashley if there's a book she particularly likes that perhaps inspired her, and she noted that she is a big fan of Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito's Baked, which grew out of a Brooklyn bakery. Actually I'm not sure I got the right Baked book, as she referred to it only by title, but I think it's correct.

No comments: