Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Day with La Reve and Lil Rev


Being that it was my day off, I decided to have lunch with my friend Rebecca at La Reve in Wauwatosa. A woman named Anne stopped me and asked me what I was doing in that side of town. No, I wasn't spying.  I was just desperate for a crepe and a pastry. Little did I know that I would have a crepe (duck confit) and a crepe pastry--these cookies they make called feuillitines are amazing. I had a few at the restaurant and then brought back a boxful for my booksellers. La Reve is located at 7610 Harwood Avenue in the Village of Wauwatosa. And once you're there, you're only blocks from the Little Read Book, which you should also visit (and shop).

I had to head back to the store, where I met with, coincidentally, Lil Rev. Milwaukee's star ukelele player dropped off copies of his book, Ukelele Nation, as well as his CD, The Happiest Way to Be Sad. Rev is doing a combo poetry/ukelele performance on Wednesday, December 29, at 7 pm.  Catch him now, because the next day he's off touring for the next four months, starting the day after our event.

It's a quiet day for releases. The highest profile is probably Jo Nesbo's The Leopard. Jason says that this book follows quickly on Nesbo's previous novel, The Snowman. And by quickly, I don't mean that the releases are close together, but that the timelines of the stories are. I think this is akin to The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest  Jason noted we sold about 24 copies of the last, so we have some hopes.

Speaking of Stieg Larsson, we just got our razor blade-shaped metal poster for the movie release of The Girl Who Played with Fire, which as you know opens 12/21. I'm having a little trouble figuring out where to put it, especially after I cut myself on the edge. Razors indeed!

And finally, what about that Michiko Kakutani review of Mrs. Nixon?

No comments: