Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Email Newsletter Goes Out, and Other Boswell Tidbits.

The email newsletter is done! It's hard to believe that I can write a blog every day without issue, but the email newsletter seems to be so much harder to get out. If only the email newsletter didn't have twenty times the readership. Read it for yourself.  Don't try to read this jpg that I've loaded--it's just for effect and not as pretty.  The color backgrounds don't show up in the print version.

36 hours later, we got in a title special ordered from St. John's Communities, so I delivered that (a Merriam Webster dictionary) and we've been sharing some of our kids' galleys with the teen librarians so I brought up a box to Tiffany at the Shorewood Public Library.  Speaking of teen and YA events, we've decided to have one in the store--Tamora Pierce will be appearing on Monday, November 7, 7 pm, at Boswell for Mastiff, the third volume in The Legend of Beka Cooper series  Oops, that's the same time as my in-store book club.  I better figure out how to juggle both.

Today I had some quality time on the floor.  One woman was looking for some titles for a baby present.  She was open to new releases, but in the end, it was mostly the old favorites that made the cut, making an exception for Ten Little Fingers, Ten Little Toes, mostly because she loves Helen Oxenbury.  At the same time, another customer came over and told me that she read all the books I recommended on Wisconsin Public Radio and needed more suggestions. Since the first customer was also looking for a book for herself, we sort of did some double selling. 

If only things were this hectic all the time!

Thank you to OnMilwaukee.com for the lovely profile in conjunction with their Book Swap promotion last Sunday.  Folks who went will probably want to come back to Humboldt Park this weekend for Global Union, the two day international music festival run by Alverno Presents.  On Saturday, Bay View Bash is also going on. If only I wasn't working all day!

Something also happened on Tuesday, but I can't remember what it was.

But I remember what happened today--Jim Higgins wrote up some fall dog titles, including Wade Rouse's I'm not the Biggest Bitch in this Relationship (event tomorrow 9/15) and Jon Katz's Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die.  Hey, if anyone wants to send Susan Orlean to Milwaukee, for Rin Tin Tin, we'd gladly take her.

You laugh, but a book club called me and asked us to book Abraham Verghese for an event, because they'd really like to discuss Cutting for Stone for an event. Alas, the free event window for an event like this is long over, but if Dr. Verghese was so inclined to come, you can bet we'd host him.

No comments: