Wednesday, September 8, 2010

On Buying Dani Shapiro's New Book at Brookline Booksmith, so I Can Be Better Prepared for the JCC Jewish Book and Culture Fair

So I'm in Brookline with my mom, and of course I do what I do whenever I'm in Brookline--head to the Brookline Booksmith. As a good indie bookseller, I try to buy something. This time I picked up Dani Shapiro's Devotion; Shapiro is the opener for the JCC Book and Culture Fair, which runs throughout November.

All events take place at the Harry and Rose Samson JCC
6255 N. Santa Monica Boulevard in Whitefish Bay.

Monday, November 1st, 7 PM
Dani Shapiro, Devotion, a memoir.
My friend Fran at the Hickory Stick in Connecticut tells me Dani Shapiro is just a wonderful speaker. More on this when I finish the book!


Wednesday, November 3rd, 7 PM
Myla Goldberg, The False Friend.
Dorene at the JCC has been reading this and loves it. And who didn't love The Bee Season?

Wednesday, November 10th, 7 PM
Joel Hoffman, And God Said: How Translations Conceal the Bible's Original Meaning.

Thursday, November 11th, 6 PM
Laurel Snyder, Baxter, The Pig Who Wanted to Be Kosher.
Stuffing yourself with kosher pickles and challah might do the trick...

Monday, November 15th, 7 PM
Lousia Shafia, Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life.

Wednesday, November 17th, 7 PM
Daniel Levin, The Last Ember.
Jody tells me this is a very good thriller, perfect for Daniel Silva fans.

Sunday, November 21st, 7 PM
Joel Chasnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade: A Skinny Jewish Kid from Chicago Fights Hezbollah.

Tuesday, November 30th, 7 PM
Thanassis Cambanis, A Privilege to Die: Inside Hezbollah's Leginos and their Endless War Against Israel.

Tickets for all events are $5 and are available pre-sale JCC or at the door. Such a deal!

No comments: