Friday, December 11, 2009

Listen to Carmichael's Bookseller Carol Besse (OK, and Others) on NPR's "On Point"

I was driving around his week with the HHR that I rented so we could do four offsites this week. It also got me to Fox Wake Up News on Tuesday (and no, I don't know how to link to my interview) and to Alverno College, where I picked up the sign for our Jeannette Walls event (January 9th, 2 PM).

On "On Point", Carol Besse was discussing some of her favorite books of the year. Hey, I know who she is! Besse is one of the principals of Carmichael's Books of Louisville. Their two stores are must-sees for any book lover visiting that city. You just wouldn't believe how they pack such interesting stuff into such a small space. I've only been to the city twice but I think I went to one store or the other every single day I was there.

It's a really interesting segment, also including David Ulin of the Los Angeles Times and Laura Miller of Salon. But I'm a bookseller, so I'm most interested in Bessie's Best:

Nonfiction:
- Chris Hedges, The Empire of Illusion
- David Grann, The Lost City of Z
- T. R. Reid, The Healing of America
- Michael Sandel, Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do
- David Small, Stitches: A Memoir

Fiction:
- Chris Cleave, Little Bee
- Muriel Barbery, The Elegance of the Hedgehog
- Tania James, Atlas of Unknowns
- Lydia Peelle, Reasons for and Advantages of Breathing
- Lorrie Moore, A Gate at the Stairs


No comments: