Thursday, March 29, 2012

The New Art Wall is Up and It's Filled with Creative Critters from MCFI Students.

I actually started talking to Nan at the Milwaukee Center for Independence (MCFI) several years ago about putting student art on our walls. But everything really started coming together last fall, after chatting with Nan at our Jeffrey Eugenides event. She told me there was a great program under Artist in Education Marina Lee with the kids at the MCFI School. This is part of MCFI's school, serving kids K3 through 2nd grade, that helps get them readied for going to third grade and beyond in MPS's public and charter school programs.

And she promised me some great artwork! We scheduled it for after our friend Joyce's paintings, which have been showcased since just after Christmas.
The exhibit, which went up yesterday, but is having its grand opening on April 3, is called Creative Critters. Marina Lee worked with students to create caterpillars, butterflies, and snails in mixed media. Oh, and a giant pig stature! They are absolutely delightful, far beyond my dreams of what I expected to see. Seeing them on the wall, I dare you to feel anything but joyous.

On April 3, 12:30 pm, the students will be gathering at Boswell as part of our three-year celebration. We’ll be serving cupcakes from Milwaukee Cupcake Company (why? because they are mini and I like them) while they last. And Tracey Sparrow, VP of Children’s Programs at MCFI, and Sarah Houser, Principal of the MCFI School, will both say a few words.

The MCFI invitation says the artwork will be up through April 25, but I’ve assured Nan that we’d love it to stay up longer, at least through June. I don’t have the energy to change our art wall more than four times per year anyway. And this is a great way to get the word out about MCFI’s mission. I donate money to them every year, and maybe you should too. Here’s a link with their storied history of helping folks in need.

No comments: