Wednesday, June 23, 2010

We're Selling Rain Taxi Review for the "Radical Price" of Nothing

Free, free free. That's what we're competing with, nowadays. Alas, I can't figure out how to make the numbers work yet using Chris Anderson's algorithm (a reference to his book, Free).

I'm fascinated by why they changed the subtitle on that book from "The Future of a Radical Price" to "How Today's Smartest Businesses Profit by Giving Something for Nothing." I think the new subtitle changes the focus from big-idea nonfiction to practical advice and how-to in its targeting.


As we mentioned previously, we are giving away Robert Beets' literary journal, Mad Rook. We also just received our allotment of Rain Taxi Review of Books, a literary journal out of Minneapolis. Rain Taxi offers about 40-plus reviews per issue, with this issue featuring interviews with Scott Bradfield, Sam Cutler, and Benjamin Alire Saenz. Before reading this issue, I didn't know who in the world Sam Cutler was; now I do.

The journal is a nonprofit, and I love that they got a grant from Target, only they don't say the name, just show the bullseye. It's similar to their old private label, which some years ago removed the Target name. The private label is now called "Up and up." I get that the arrow is a clever counterpoint to their target logo, but I agreed with Kirk, who thought it implied that Target's prices were going up, as opposed to their competitors, which they were said to be falling. Whew, that was quite an aside.

Another big question--do they give out Rain Taxi at Target? I can't say I've seen a copy at the one I occasionially visit on South Chase Avenue.

Coming soon, a report on another magazine, one that has a feature on Boswell!

No comments: