Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Short Post--NPR Summer Picks.

Regular FOBs* will not be surprised at my summer reading selections. But the link to the NPR picks from Lucia Silva at Portrait of a Bookstore, Rona Brinlee of The Bookmark, and myself. This installment is bittersweet, as Portrait closed its doors last week after more than a quarter century servicing readers.

Lucia’s picks:
I Saw A Peacock With A Fiery Tail., by Jonathan Yamakami and Ramsingh Urveti
The Mark Inside: A Perfect Swindle, A Cunning Revenge, And A Small History Of The Big Con, by Amy Reading
The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make Us Human, by Jonathan Gottschall
Hole In My Life, by Jack Gantos
Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?, by Jeanette Winterson

Rona's picks:
Absolution, by Patrick Flanery
The Book Of Jonas, by Stephen Dau
A Good American, by Alex George
The Healing by Jonathan Odell
Hit Lit: Cracking The Code Of The Twentieth Century's Biggest Bestsellers, by James W. Hall
Mr G: A Novel About the Creation, by Alan Lightman

My picks:
Coral Glynn, by Peter Cameron
Boleto, by Alyson Hagy
Glaciers, by Alexis M. Smith
The Cheerleaders Of Doom (N.E.R.D.S), by Michael Buckley and Ethen Beavers
The Collective, by Don Lee

 Here's a link to the audio story, plus a list of our picks. My confession--I'm afraid to listen. What if I got everything wrong? What if I sound stupid? Of course I'll listen, but I'm going to wait a little longer.
*Friends of Boswell, of course.

No comments: