Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wisconsin is the Unexpected Center of the Film Universe

Well, isn't this a late post? I decided to spend my creative hours working on an email newsletter for our kids' events. It's pretty much ready to go, though I still have to link all my titles to our website for purchase. I should have it out tomorrow, and will link to it here.

Tonight we hosted Patrick McGilligan for his new biography  Nicholas Ray: The Glorious Failure of an American Director. McGilligan got a nice of crowd of 40 people for his event--if you know Mr. McGilligan, he certainly told me to expect less than that. One of the interesting sidebars of his talk noted how many important film directors have Wisconsin ties. Howard Hawks, for example, was born in Indiana, but moved to Neenah when he was three. Nicholas Ray, the subject of tonight's presentation, grew up in La Crosse, and is buried there in an unmarked grave. And McGilligan's next subject was born in Wisconsin too--I'm not really sure if it's public yet, so I won't say anything more.

Thanks to Wisconsin Film for helping to talk up this event. Ghazal noted that the films for the Wisconsin Film Festival are still under wraps.  All will be revealed on September 3 at the Made in Milwaukee Festival at Cathedral Square.

No comments: