Thursday, February 24, 2011

What Does Your Book do After it Goes Clubbing? It Takes a Bookrest.

When I talked to booksellers about what they were selling like crazy last Christmas (aside from books) that we didn't have, the two things that came up again and again were Buckyballs and Bookseats.

I still can't bring myself to order in Buckyballs, having nightmares about me acciedentally swallowing one of the magnets (or worse, two of them), but maybe I will someday be able to bring myself to do it. Theyare very popular and fun--tiny magnets that you can mold into mini sculptures.

That said, we've brought in Bookseats, somewhat vaguely recalling the Peeramid Bookrests that Schwartz sold several years ago, only a little more moldable, and with a lucite holder for the book.

But where to put them? Aha! A re-jiggered book club display. And did I tell you what books we were featuring for the winter? I don't think I did. Well, here you go:

Award Winners
Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel
Tinkers, by Paul Harding
The Girl who Fell from the Sky, by Heidi Durrow
A Long, Long Time ago and Essentially True, by Brigid Pasulka
The Finkler Question, by Howard Jacobson
Lord of Misrule, by Jaimy Gordon

Big Stories (I don't know what this means, but I like labels.)
The Invisible Bridge, by Julie Orringer
The Slap, by Christos Tsiolkas (which I'm currently reading for our upcoming in-store book club discussion)
Secrest of Eden, by Chris Bohjalian
The Surrendered, by Chang-Rae Lee
The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonson

Fact to Fiction
Half-Broke Horses, by Jeannette Walls
Remarkable Creatures, by Tracy Cheavlier
The Women, by T.C. Boyle (event tonight 2/24)
Alice I Have Been, by Melanie Benjamin
Pearl of China, by Anchee Min
Sag Harbor, by Colson Whitehead

Nonfiction
Just Kids, by Patti Smith
Inside of a Dog, by Alexandra Stoddard
Country Driving, by Peter Hessler
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
Shop Class as Soulcraft, by Matthew Crawford
Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers.

Come in and pick up a book club flier and try out a Bookseat, which come in eight colors. The book club flier only comes in pink

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see a couple of Aussie authors on your list - Christos Tsiolkas and Kate Morton. Kate lives in Brisbane so maybe I am not your only blog reader in Bris. Denise