Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sayeth John Irving: "Daniel, meet Christopher"

Sharon knows that when she's buying second-hand books and finds something interesting inside one of them, I like to see what it is. It turned out the bookmark from Christopher's Books in a copy of John Irving's Trying to Save Piggy Sneed wasn't exactly a find.

For one thing, there are no personal notes, nothing dated, no phone numbers of memos to buy a card for Johnny to send with the book.

For another, the bookstore is, wonderfully enough, still in business. It's on Potrero Hill in San Francisco. I'm a little embarrassed because I've never been there. Their website is static, but it's very smart to at least have something of a placeholder, with your phone number, email, and hours. If ever I feel exhausted over our website, this is what I would move to.

Here's a nice listing of San Francisco Bookstores from NCIBA. I'm studying it, for when I come across future bookmarks.

No comments: