Friday, April 23, 2010

Countdown to Sue Miller at the Friends of the Milwaukee Public Library Literary Lunch

What a great review by Michiko Kakutani in today's New York Times for The Lake Shore Limited! I'm not linking to our website because instead of buying the book, you should email or call the friends for your ticket to the luncheon...if they are not sold out!

For ticket information, please contact the Library Foundation at
414-286-8720 or email friends@mpl.org.

Here's a link to a pdf of the new Milwaukee Public Library Reader with more on the lunch and Sue Miller. There's also a great story on Milwaukee's new poet laureate, Brenda Cardenas. My apologies that I still don't know how to do accents on Blogger. Note that we have more copies of Cardenas' most recent collection, Boomerang, directly from Bilingual Press. They should be here by Friday!

More on Miller. I asked her publicist Sara if Miller could recommend a few of her favorite titles. I said we'd post them on our blog (here they are) and feature them at our event.

Too Much Happiness, by Alice Munro

The Privileges, by Jonathan Dee
Here's the New York Times review if you missed it. And Los Angeles Times. And New Yorker (with Adam Haslett's Union Atlantic).
and

Blame, by Michelle Huneven. Sigh. Actually, triple sigh. I've heard great things about the new Dee, and I kick myself that I haven't yet read the Munro.

Plus I also asked for an underrated author that she'd love to promote, and she touted Brian Morton. If you haven't read one of his novels, most recently Starting Out in the Evening, you're missing a treat. Everyone I know that has read this has said it's one of the most underrated novels of the past few years. Read more in The New York Times.

No comments: