Thursday, September 15, 2011

Suspenseful Recs from Boswell Booksellers, and Suspense as to Whether I'll Find the School Tomorrow Where I'm Delivering Books.

Another strange day without my camera.  Honestly I feel naked.  I think it's under the enormous piles on my desk or the nearby book case, but I spend about 8 hours a day doing emails so who has time?

I've been booking some interesting events, and it only makes me more anxious that I haven't read more ahead of publication. 

Tomorrow I deliver books to a school for Margaret Peterson Haddix, and get to hang out with a few ex-booksellers (including several that worked for me in Mequon 15 years ago), before I come back to the store to close.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll have a great posting.  Or maybe I'll have some nice pictures. 

Who is to say?

Here are some interesting reps from Boswellians...

from Carl:
Crimes in Southern Indiana, stories by Frank Bill, FSG.

"Like a wild, non-stop ride in a bullet-ridden Ford pickup careening through the author's hometown of Corydon, Indiana. Most of the characters in these short stories are bad to the core, and the ones that aren't are usually victims. Meth heads, bare-knuckle fighters, weed runners and random evildoers populate this collection from Frank Bill, a rising star from the heartland. Don't think for a minute though that everything's black & white in these stories; they're hard-edged tales with a literate punch. This book is in a category all by itself. Wow!"

from Sharon:
"The Most Dangerous Thing, by Laura Lippman, William Morrow.

A group of childhood friends get together as adults when one of their group dies suddenly. The friends had made a pact to have nothing to do with one another after a mysterious event in their past. The story is told from varying points of view, each character adding a piece to the puzzle of what happened all those years ago. Laura Lippman does her usual excellent job of drawing the reader in almost immediately. I was certain that this was a stand-alone mystery, and not one of her series, but then Tess Monaghan made a cameo appearance towards the end. This walk down memory lane will appeal to long-time Lippman fans, as well as new readers."

from Anne:
A Trick of the Light, by Louise Penny, St. Martin’s Minotaur.
"In A Trick of the Light, Clara Morrow's long awaited, hard earned art showing seems to be a wonderful success --until the body of an art critic from her past is discovered in Clara's garden at Three Pines the morning after her celebratory party. As Chief Inspector Gamache investigates, things are less and less straightforward; the light seems to obscure. Just when it seems that Louise Penny can't possible get any better, she does. The sensitivity and compassion in her work make them a joy to experience."

No comments: