Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Best Buddies Live on, Both on a Rec Case and On Our Bestseller List

One of the things we did for our grand opening with Elinor Lipman, Anita Shreve, and Mameve Medwed was have them come in and be honorary booksellers for the afternoon. I ordered some books they liked and we put them in the Best Buddies case.

The afternoon event was modest (compared to the evening), but their legacy lives on. I refill a book or two in their case almost every day. And I was so happy to see all three of their books on our published bestseller list for the week ending May 30th.

Hardcover Fiction
1. The Great Perhaps, by Joe Meno
2. Shanghai Girls, by Lisa See
3. The Family Man, by Elinor Lipman
4. Wicked Prey, by John Sandford
5. Pygmy, by Chuck Palahniuk.

On paperback fiction, Anita Shreve's Testimony was #7 and Mameve's Of Men and their Mothers was #12.

It doesn't hurt that Lipman is getting some of her best reviews ever for her new book, including a lovely write up in Sunday's New York Times Book Review.

Here are some books that they are recommending:

Elinor Lipman
The Suicide Index, by Joan Wickersham
Ms. Hempel Chronicles, by Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum
Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout
Indignation, by Philip Roth

Anita Shreve
People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks
The Transit of Venus, by Shirley Hazzard
Cal, by Bernard McLaverty (which I couldn't get in, it might be OP)
Lies of Silence, by Brian Moore (same)

Mameve Medwed
The Believers, by Zoe Heller
Bridge of Sighs, by Richard Russo
I Loved, I Lost, I made Spaghetti, by Giulia Melucci
The Post-Birthday World, by Lionel Shriver.

As we sold books, I also included books that I knew the Buddies liked, either because they reviewed them, gave quotes for them, or just sent me an excited email. It's been very fun, and I hope to do this with more authors in the future.

No comments: