Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Really Great Seminar on Organization

Over the years, I've sold quite a good number of copies of David Allen's book on organization, Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress Free Productivity, as have most bookstores. Apparently a lot of businesses swear by the GTD model. So we were lucky enough to be able to attend a seminar with Allen at the recent Winter Institute. And just while I'm writing this, Jason calls out to me, "That David Allen thing was good." And it was.

Allen's point was that in order for us to be the best we can be about what we do, we've got to get the information out of our head and file it, at least temporarily. There was a lot of advice on overcoming anxiety and staying focused. We laughed about how many uprocessed emails we have (in the hundreds), but after his talk, I actually had some very practical ways to unload my inbox.

It didn't hurt that Allen's presentation was quite engaging. He didn't make us participate in any group exercises, which always makes me happy. I can't wait to go home and read the book. And yes, of course I already own it.

No comments: