Friday, June 17, 2011

Brunch and Shop Starts This Sunday, Sharon Recs "The American Heiress," Which Comes Out Shortly Thereafter.

Yesterday I wrote a staff newsletter, letting them know about several upcoming promotions, including "Brunch and Shop", which is set to begin this Sunday on Downer Avenue, and runs through the summer.  When you eat Sunday brunch at the Original Pancake House, Henry's, Via Downer, or Cafe Hollander, you'll get a postcard listing several offers. Choose the one that's best for you--one of them is $5 off a $25 purchase at Boswell.  I was explaining that if someone brings in two of these, it's $5 per each $25 purchase, so the customer would have to bring in $50. That makes sense, right? Hope so, since those will be our rules.  I haven't seen the final postcard, so I don't know if the end date of the promotion is August 31 or Labor Day or some other date selected.

Some of the other offers include:
--10% off custom work at Paperwork (this offer is only good on Sundays)
--Buy one tall coffee at Starbucks, get one free
And alas, I can't remember any of the other ones.

I also included some recent staff recs that were sent to me in the newsletter.  Most of them are not coming out for another month, but this one seemed timely:

The American Heiress, by Daisy Goodwin (St. Martin’s Press).
"In the late nineteenth century, it was quite the fashion for wealthy American girls to marry titled Englishmen with large estates and no money to maintain them. The American Heiress tells the story of Cora Cash, a rich young woman from Newport, whose mother would like nothing better than to procure a husband with a title for her daughter. Cora interferes with her mother’s plans by having a mind of her own and wishing to commit the unpardonable sin of marrying for love. If you were a fan of 'Downton Abbey' on Masterpiece Theatre, this is the book for you."
Sharon

It turns out that I did not know the show "Downton Abbey" and wrote "Downtown Abbey", which sounded like a hip swinging place with champagne and miniskirts.  I don't know what I was thinking. Our rep Anne told me this was also one of her favorites.  I was a little confused because I can't find the "the" on the jacket.  Is there an article in the title or not?  Then I found a larger image and located the "the" in italics.  So many unneccessary worries!

The American Heiress goes on sale this coming week. Thanks, Sharon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Downton Abbey" is fabulous! I don't usually like period pieces, but the story is so good. It starts at the sinking of the Titanic and ends when WWI starts. The manor has the titled family and the servants and the story explores all the social changes happening at that time in England and what it means to be a servant and the relationship between servants and employers and what it takes to get an heir and middle-class vs upper class. It's excellent and it's available on DVD from the Milwaukee library.